- Why SoyLites Soy Candles?
All our products are carefully crafted with attention to detail, quality, innovation and customer service. SoyLites has been South Africa’s Soy Candle manufacturing specialists since 2007 and our brand, SoyLites, is the original Soy Candle and has a loyal following in South Africa and beyond. We love what we do and pour passion and love into our products.
- What is the difference between regular paraffin wax candles and SoyLites candles?
SoyLites Soy Candles:
- Are petroleum-free and made from pure soybean oil, which is natural and biodegradable. Paraffin candles are made from the by-product raw materials produced during oil refinery.
- Emit almost zero toxins when burning, unlike paraffin candles, which are known to emit 11 documented toxins when burning, of which 4 are carcinogenic (tolulene, formaldehyde, acrolein and benzene).
- Are 99% soot free, which means there is no black smoke when burning. Some other soy candle brands kick off black soot from the wick when burning. SoyLites candles burn evenly without any unpleasant side effects.
- Burn much longer than paraffin candles with at least 50% more burn time. This means you get your moneys' worth of burn time.
- They leave practically no waste, burning evenly and all the way down so you don’t have to throw away a portion of the candle as waste.
- Are easy to clean if spilt - warm water and soap can be used to remove spilt soy wax.
- Contain natural vitamin E and lecithin, which has amazing benefits when rubbing into the skin. SoyLites candles melt at a low temperature: 2 degrees above body temperature (39°C), making them the right temperature to rub into the skin.
- Are scented with unique essential oil blends, unlike most other brands that use synthetic fragrance oils.
- Are excellent holding mediums for essential oils and have even scent dispersion.
- How and why do you apply the candle oil onto your skin?
Soybean oil is full of fatty acids known as lecithin, which is key to maintaining and restoring the balance of healthy skin. It is also full of anti-oxidants, such as vitamin E, which helps to even out skin tone and improve the texture of the skin. Because soy candles melt at a low temperature a pool of warm oil will form when burning, which is nourishing and easily absorbed into the skin. Simply dip your fingers into the oil, and apply.
Some skin benefits of SoyLites Body Candles:
- Great as a general moisturiser, for dry skin, cracked cuticles, cracked heels, dry lips and elbows, etc.
- Leaves your skin feeling nourished, moisturized and soft.
- Known to aid the treatment of psoriasis and eczema and other dry skin conditions
- Can be used on stretch marks and scars and even minor abrasions
- SoyLites’ massage candle specific range is wonderful for massage treatments and facials. Soybean oil is often found in cosmetic products because of its many rejuvenating skin benefits.
- Aromatherapy benefits for skin application
- Why do you not colour your candles?
Most, if not all, candles are coloured with chemical pigments that not only effect burn quality but are also released into the atmosphere when burning which may be toxic. Some of our candles receive a colour-lift due to the addition of certain essential oils, such as orange or neroli combinations, that leave the candles with a beautiful natural, soft yellow hue. However we steer clear of synthetic pigments, which would compromise the quality of our candles, especially since we promote application onto the skin.
- What about allergies to soybean oil and sensitive skin?
When eating soy products, the soy oil and soy lecithin (a common emulsifier) are considered to be of little consequence with respect to allergies because they contain very little protein. The protein in soy beans are known to create allergic reactions, however both of these ingredients have been known to cause allergic reactions in rare instances.
To date we not found any instances where people experienced an allergic reaction due to the application of soy oil to their skin, however, it is important to inform your client about the ingredients in the candle, especially if he / she have sensitive skins.
SoyLites soy candles contain no additives, only pure soybean oil wax, essential oils (between 3 – 5% dilution), and in the case of massage candles, other botanical oils. Certain essential oils, however, can irritate sensitive skins and may have specific contra-indications. When applying the soy oil to the skin, wait a few minutes to see if there is a reaction. If the skin becomes red or irritated, discontinue use.
- Can pregnant woman or babies use a body candle on their skin?
We recommend that pregnant ladies apply only unscented SoyLitesTM candles on their skin, including Baby Love Massage Candles – or simply burn the scented candle for aromatherapy benefits. Both the moisturising and massage candles contain essential oils that should be avoided during pregnancy & while lactating.
Essential oils should not be used on babies under one year of age, and we therefore recommend using only the Baby Love candle for massage or as a moisturiser. The organic lavender candle can be used after one year of age but its great to burn in baby’s room for its calmative effects.
- What is the difference between a moisturising candle and a massage candle?
The main difference between these two ranges lies in the formulations.
- The Moisturising Candles (also called the Classic Frosted range) are ideal as a long burning, ambiance setting, and aroma therapeutic candle for your home. With cosmetic grade raw materials, the Moisturising Candles consist of pure soy with an aromatherapy blend, which is absorbed fairly rapidly when applied, leaving your skin feeling soft, silky and smooth. Our Moisturising Soy Candles are ideal for use as a general hand, foot and body moisturiser, relieves cracked heels and cuticles, treat scars, minor cuts and abrasions, without leaving a greasy residue. Customers have also reported amazing benefits for other skin aliments such as psoriasis and eczema. Simply dip your fingers into the outer edge of the oil pool and apply to your skin. Use sparingly as a little goes a long way.
- Our Massage Body Candles, on the other hand, are formulated specifically for use as a complete aromatherapy body massage product. They are blended with other botanical oils such as coconut oil, grapeseed oil and shea butter, resulting in softer textured oil when burning. Our Massage Body Candles makes for a unique, warm-oil experience with ideal ‘slip’ for massage purposes. A common response from both massage therapists and clients alike is ‘wow!’
- What other product does SoyLites manufacture?
In addition to our ranges of body candles, SoyLites innovates a range of natural soy based body balms, lip balms, tissue oils, hydrosols, gifting candles, and customised services. We also manufacture a cool range of soy wax crayons called Rainbow Rocks, which are 100% vegetable based and non-toxic for kids and adults.